Notify us! – Lawes, Benbow gave JFF no warning of missing national training | Sports

Manager of the Jamaica national senior football team, Roy Simpson, told STAR Sports that Waterhouse duo, Cardel Benbow and Shawn Lawes, left the island for the United States of America (USA) without officially informing the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF).

Central defender Lawes and midfielder Benbow were named in a 21-man squad by head coach Theodore ‘Tappa’ Whitmore, for a training camp that started last Monday and finished yesterday at the UWI-JFF/Captain Horace Burrell Centre of Excellence.

The national team continued preparation for the inaugural CONCACAF Nation’s League coming up in September.

Jamaica plays its first game at home against the Cayman Islands on September 9, and Whitmore expressed the need to bring players together, especially as the Red Stripe Premier League season has been over and there was need to see the condition of players and establish training regimes with all the players.

In a lead story published in STAR Sports on June 7, Whitmore expressed disappointment that the players were absent from the training camp.


However, Simpson said that the players are fully aware they should inform the JFF of their whereabouts.

“The national players travelling outside the country and players arriving in the country should let the JFF know. Even those coming for holidays, just let us know,” he explained.

“The players did not inform us before (travelling). It was done after they were called to the training camp. I don’t think that their future is in question, because it is not a situation where if you don’t, you will not be included again. We are disappointed that they did not reach out early,” he added.

Simpson pointed out that Arnett Gardens midfielder, Marvin Morgan notified the JFF that he would be away. 

“Marvin Morgan was called to camp and he told us that he would be travelling. He came into camp then left on Wednesday,” Simpson said.

“I spoke to both players and they agreed that they should have done that. Waterhouse, through David Henry (communications officer), sent out an email expressing regret that the situation happened and that it won’t happen again, going forward. The email was sent on Sunday,” the national senior team manager noted.

Source link

Spread the love

Related posts

Leave a Comment